Book Club and Philosophy Club
Our Book Club meets up every couple of months or so for an informal chat to discuss our latest book choice.
The next meeting will be on Wednesday 23 May, 8.00pm in The Black Swan, 23 Peasholme Green, York, YO1 7PR, when our book choice will be
Coming Up for Air by George Orwell.
Previous Book Choices
- What is Populism?, by Jan-Werner Muller.
- The Prince, by Niccolò Machiavelli.
- East West Street, by Philippe Sands.
- The Luck Factor, by Richard Wiseman.
- The Shipwrecked Mind, by Mark Lilla.
- Prisoners of Geography, by Tim Marshall.
- Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind, by Yuval Noah Harari.
- Candide, by Voltaire.
- On Being, by Peter Atkins.
- Black Mass: Apocalyptic Religion and the Death of Utopia, by John Gray.
- The Children Act, by Ian McEwan.
- Islam and the Future of Tolerance, by Sam Harris and Maajid Nawaz.
- This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate, by Naomi Klein.
- Europe: In or Out?, by David Charter.
- Going Gently, by David Nobbs.
- Agnosticism: A Very Short Introduction, by Robin Le Poidevin.
- Thinking, Fast and Slow, by Daniel Kahneman.
- The Better Angels of Our Nature, by Steven Pinker.
- Siddhartha, by Hermann Hesse.
- Nothing To Envy: Real Lives In North Korea, by Barbara Demick.
- Creation: The Origin of Life & The Future of Life, by Adam Rutherford.
- The Righteous Mind, by Jonathan Haidt.
- The Self Illusion, by Bruce Hood.
- Why does the world exist?, by Jim Holz.
- Mrs Palfrey at the Claremont, by Elizabeth Taylor.
- What is Good?, by A.C. Grayling.
- The Rational Optimist, by Matt Ridley.
- Blood Rites: Origins and History of the Passions of War, by Barbara Ehrenreich.
- Zero Degrees of Empathy, by Simon Baron-Cohen.
- If This Is A Man, by Primo Levi.
- Why Orwell Matters, by Christopher Hitchens.
- A Universe from Nothing, by Lawrence Krauss.
- The Myths We Live By, by Mary Midgley.
- Free Will, by Sam Harris.
- Whole Earth Discipline, by Stewart Brand.
- Humanism: A Very Short Introduction, by Stephen Law.
- The Blank Slate, by Steven Pinker.
- The Demon-haunted World, by Carl Sagan.
- Multiculturalism: Some Inconvenient Truths, by Rumy Hasan.
- Dishonest to God: On Keeping Religion Out of Politics, by Mary Warnock.
- The Spirit Level - Why Equality is Better for Everyone, by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett.
- The Age of Absurdity, by Michael Foley.
- Israeli Apartheid: A Beginner's Guide, by Ben White.
- What Should I Believe?, by Dorothy Rowe.
- An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, by David Hume.
- How Mumbo Jumbo Conquered the World, by Francis Wheen
- Our Inner Fish, by Neil Shubin
- The Choice of Hercules, by A.C. Grayling
- Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason
- The End of Faith, by Sam Harris
- 6 Impossible Things To Do Before Breakfast, by Stephen Wolpert
If you would be interested in joining, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also have a Philosophy Club that meets in a pub every month or so. See the home page for listings.
Members take it in turn to initiate a discussion on a topic of their choosing, usually circulating in advance one or two references or short papers relevant to the topic. Previous topics have included Happiness, Marx, and Nuclear Deterrence.
If anyone is interested in joining and sends us their email address, we will add them to the mailing list for upcoming topics and reading.